I like to make lists and I hate talking about myself. So here's my bio in list form:
- I write coming-of-age stories for adults and teens.
- I hate cheese.
- I live in Montreal.
- I can confirm that writing is nothing like doing yoga. Nothing.
- I like digital publishing. I've been doing it since 2010. Ask me about it.
- That really is me in the picture. It's one of my best pictures. I don't really look like that on a regular day.
- I've been published in Geist and The Fiddlehead.
- Sometimes I design my own eBook covers.
- Fiction is my hobby. Writing it, reading it, watching it on film and on TV. I hate bio pics and have a strong aversion to reality TV (except some of those singing shows).
- I'm very interested in chocolate.
- I have terrible handwriting.
- I fell in love with writing when I was sixteen. We've been breaking up and getting back together ever since.
- I even went to writing school (Concordia University's undergraduate creative writing program).
- I also did graduate school. It's a dark time in my life I don't like to talk about.
- I'm a very picky reader and end up discarding 4 out of 5 books after reading just the first chapter. I will immediately reject a novel for many, many reasons including:
Focuses too much on the main character's profession. (Basically all Thrillers.)
Too many old people.
Don't like the writing style. (This could mean anything.)
Don't like the first sentence.
Too chick lity.
Too much dialogue.
Too much about the meaning of life. (Hello The Alchemist.)
Too literary. (See earlier comment about graduate school).
Too YA. (Because there's good YA and then there's that other YA.)
Too dirty. (Hello Blindness.)
Too many generations. (All Family Sagas.)
Too many men.
- I love to travel and dream of going to Japan one day soon.
- I hate public speaking with a passion. Did I say hate? It's more like unbridled terror.
- I write because I'm good at it, because it's too painful not to, because I need to, but not always because I want to.
I write because I do.